Creating Your Account
- To create your account first begin by selecting the "New Account" button.
- A pop up will appear on your browser, please enter in the appropriate information.
- The User Name and Password you select will be what you use to log into your account. The email address you provide is how we will contact you with updates.
- If you are part of a restaurant or sustainability program please enter your assigned code in the “Partner Code” field. If not, please leave this field blank.
- When you are finished select the "Create Account" button.
- Create a username and password that is unique to you. Store this information in a safe place.
- If you forget your password select “Forgot Password?” on the Login page. A temporary password will be sent to the email associated with your account.
- If you manage multiple restaurants/companies we suggest creating a new account for each individual restaurant.
Creating Seafood List(s)
- To create a seafood list log into your account and select the "Create A Seafood List" button.
- A pop up will appear where you can create a title for your seafood list. Once you create a list title select “Add Your List.”
- You can create as many lists as you want. For example you may want different lists for different menus, different restaurant locations, different customers, etc.
- You can add/edit any items on your list(s).You can change the name of your lists at anytime by selecting the "Edit" button on your list page.
Adding Items to Your List(s)
- We recommend collecting the following information before creating your seafood list (If you don't have all of the information, you can enter partial information for an item as a placeholder, and select the "unknown" option from the menus. Please note that any incomplete items will be calculated as unknown in the dashboard):
- Seafood Species
- Seafood Fishing/Farming Origin
- Seafood Fishing/Farming Harvest Type
- If you don’t know this information please contact your distributor.
Searching and Selecting Seafood Species
- This is the most important step in evaluating the sustainability of your seafood.
- In nearly all cases, this application uses seafood nomenclature as defined by the FDA.
- To search seafood terms you can use the search field that will search the available options by common names and market names.
- You can also use a series of three menus to narrow down your seafood species.
- Not all seafood species are included in the application, but you can request a seafood species or source be added.
Selecting Seafood Origin
- Select the best matching seafood origin option from the available menu options.
- In some cases, origin might encompass multiple locations or be all encompassing (worldwide), this is because the sustainability ratings are the same based on the different origins, and the menu options have been simplified for your convenience.
- For example if your know your seafood is from California and the option is 'U.S. West Coast' - that is the option you would select.
- Origins are defined in the application based on current Seafood Watch assessments and are often different depending on different seafood species.
- Please note that country of origin labeling and other on-pack labeling may not show the correct origin of the seafood item, but rather where the seafood was processed and packed.
Selecting Fishing or Farming Method
- Select the best matching fishing or farming method option from the available menu options.
- In some cases, harvest methods may encompass multiple methods or be all encompassing (all fishing/farming methods), this is because the sustainability ratings are the same based on the given origins, and the menu options have been simplified for your convenience.
- For example, if you know your seafood is caught by purse seine and the option is 'Wild-caught' - that is the option you would select.
- How fishing and farming (aka harvest) methods are defined in the application is based on current Seafood Watch seafood assessments.
- Sourcing Details: The Sourcing Details box allows users to add additional details regarding a product’s catch method and catch location to their sustainability list(s). Users can enter specific information (up to 50 characters) such as gear type, catch location, availability, etc. in this field. Information is saved when a user selects “Add Item To Current List” and can be edited at anytime.
- Item Description: The Item Description box allows users to add additional product information they would like to include in their sustainability list(s). Users can enter specific information (up to 50 characters) such as a product SKU number, product form, menu item, etc. in this field. Information is saved when a user selects “Add Item to Current List” and can be edited at anytime.
- Volume: Users have the option to enter a weekly volume (in pounds) for each item in their seafood list(s). This volume automatically recurs every week until a user enters a new volume amount and/or resets the volume to 0. The heart of seafood sustainability is about volume and we highly recommend that all users enter volume information for their products.
- To enter product volumes add the product to your seafood list(s).
- Select the “Edit” button.
- In the volume field popup enter the numerical weekly product volume (in pounds).
- Select a start date for this volume to begin. Select “Add.”
- Select “Save Changes.
- If your volume changes, do not delete the old volume entry. Instead, simply add a new volume and start date.
Editing Seafood Item(s)
- To edit seafood items, select the list from the menu at the top of the page, click on "Edit," and make the changes you want. Select "Save Changes" when you are finished editing your seafood product.
- To view the sustainability of your seafood list(s) select "Calculate Sustainability."
- You will be redirected to a report page where you will be able to view:
- Your products by sustainability information
- Improvement options for sourcing better rated products
- Dashboards that breakdown the sustainability of your seafood offerings
- After you create your list(s) and run your reports you have several options:
- Print the report
- Download a PDF of the report
- Download a CSV file of the report
- Email the report
For more information please visit the Your Report page.