What is the Sustainable Seafood Calculator?
- The Sustainable Seafood Calculator is a web‐based application that allows businesses to assess the sustainability of their seafood according to the Seafood Watch Program at Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- The application allows users to create one or more lists of their seafood inventory through an online form and generate an online, downloadable report
- Users receive a report that includes a table of results, a pie chart displaying overall sustainability, and column charts of seafood items in each seafood rating category.
Why was it developed?
- The Sustainable Seafood Calculator was developed to help restaurant partners of the Seafood Watch Program maintain and track an up-to-date seafood assessment according the current Seafood Watch recommendations.
- There is also a need for organizations who aren't necessarily partnered with the Seafood Watch Program but still either rely on their recommendations or want to refer to their recommendations for their own seafood.
Who can use it?
- The application is designed for any business that wants to assess the sustainability of their seafood.
- Chefs and restaurants can use the application to do self-assessments of the seafood they purchase, cook, and serve.
- Distributors and others can use the application as a value-add sustainability assessment they can provide their customers.
How much does it cost?
- The application is currently free and a registration is required for full functionality.
- In the future, a modest subscription fee may be added to support and expand the functionality of the application.
How does it work?
- Users create one or more lists, add items to their lists through a stepwise process, and run the report.
- The dashboard report can be downloaded, printed, or emailed and is time stamped for when the report is run and identifies the current Seafood Watch recommendations being used in the report.
- See the Getting Started page for full details.
What seafood is listed?
- The application contains all species associated with Seafood Watch ratings which accounts for over 200 different finfish and shellfish species.
What if I forget my password?
- If you forget your password select “Forgot Password?” on the Login page. A temporary password will be sent to the email associated with your account.
- You can reset your password by going to “My Account” and typing in a new password.
What if I cannot find my seafood product?
- If you cannot locate your product/catch method/or origin through the search function or drop downs select (insert species not found button) and fill in all the information you can.
- This product will automatically be assigned an unknown rating in your report.
How often is it updated?
- The ratings in the application reflect the most up-to-date Seafood Watch ratings. As such, we are regularly updating our data sets to reflect any changes to the sustainability ratings of different seafood products. These updates usually occur once a month.
Are my results shared?
- We do not disclose any personal information or seafood list data that can be associated with a individual user without the consent of the user.
- Any information that may be shared will not be attributed to any individual user.
- If you are part of the Seafood Watch program your information may be reviewed and shared with the program and program administrator.
- If you have any questions or comments please contact the Sustainable Seafood Calculator administrator. For more information visit our Contact Us page.