Cape Cod Community Supported Fishery
The Cape Cod Weir Harvest (CCWH) Community Supported Fishery (CSF) works together with local weir fishermen and shore-side operations to deliver fresh seafood to their members. Members join the program by purchasing a share for a season. Each week at the designated delivery site in Chatham Natural Market in Chatham, CCWH members pick up their shares of fresh seafood, similar to a CSA but with seafood. This arrangement benefits local fishermen, the environment, the local economy, and CCWH members. Local weir fishermen are helped by having new, more sustainable markets for their product. Because the distance traveled and its carbon footprint of putting dinner on your plate is greatly reduced, the environment benefits. By keeping all costs community-based, the local economy prospers. It's a win-win-win-win for local fishermen, the environment, the local economy, and the customers!
Cape Cod Community Supported Fishery is committed to the following CSF principles:
- Establish a transparent chain of custody from boat to fork
- Increase access to premium, locally caught seafood
- Ensure fishers receive a fair price for their catch that reflects the value of their work
- Engage fishers and the community in more robust, viable, and local food systems
- Provide a framework through which fishers and customers alike can creatively steward marine resources