FishChoice is one of sixteen leading conservation organizations from the United States and Canada who aligned efforts in 2008 to pursue a Common Vision for Environmentally Sustainable Seafood and work together as the Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions. The ultimate goal being to preserve the health of ocean and freshwater ecosystems and ensure a long-term seafood supply.Today, the Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions connects leading conservation groups that work with businesses representing over 80% of the North American grocery and food-service markets.
Using the conservation expertise from the alliance members, the Common Vision (full version) provides businesses with the following six steps they can take to develop and implement a sustainable seafood policy:
- Make a Public Commitment: Develop a comprehensive commitment on sustainable seafood that includes timebound objectives for addressing environmental and social issues and traceability.
- Collecting data on Seafood Products: Monitor the sustainability of seafood products and assess labor and human rights risks within the supply chains you source from.
- Make Responsible Sourcing Decisions: Support sustainable and improving seafood sources through purchasing decisions.
- Being Transparent: Make information regarding the environmental and social performance of seafood products publicly available and report on progress against your sustainable seafood commitment.
- Educating Staff, Customers, and Vendors: Educate employees, customers, suppliers, and other key stakeholders about sustainable seafood, including the importance of addressing environmental and social issues and working toward full traceability.
- Support Improvements in Fisheries and Aquaculture: Engage in policy and management reform that leads to positive social, economic, and environmental outcomes in fisheries and aquaculture production, including ensuring implementation of core labor standards.
Learn more about the Conservation Alliance members by clicking on the list below:
Learn more about the Conservation Alliance collaborators by clicking on the list below: